Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Akmar, the cautious cabbie


The other day I had the most careful, deliberate cabbie. It was raining, and he drove slowly over the Williamsburg Bridge, then cautiously changed lanes to exit the highway.

I complimented him on his safety-consciousness, and we had a nice chat about the dangers of a rain-oil slick on newly wet roads. (A conversation my dad would have been proud of).

Anyway, I asked Akmar about himself. He's been in the U.S. for 12 years, and judging by his accent, he came from the Indian subcontinent. Yes, I know I should have asked specifically where he was from, but I was actually more interested in ...

...the fact that last year he graduated from a 4-year university with a degree in accounting. Now he's working on his masters in accounting and finance. Let's hope his accounting will be cautious like his driving. (That's aimed at you, Wall Street.)

He paid for his schooling by working as a cabbie. "I study now so I will do better in the future," he said.

Wishing you well Akmar!

As I'm not tricked out with an iPhone and am too lazy to carry a camera, I have no photo of Akmar but will instead distract you with this map of the Indian subcontinent.

No comments:

Post a Comment